DIY projects · Thrifty Finds

DIY Bookend Ends

ugly duck1These ducks started out as tarnished brass bookends. I picked them up at a thrift store for a few dollars. I immediately added them to my booth, thinking I could sell them fairly easily.

Well, they sat there for a couple of months. Then my sister came to visit and when she saw them in my booth, her comment was “those are some ugly ducks”. She was right. The ducks came home with me.

The first thing I did was spray paint them white. Then it got too cold outside to give them a second coat, so I brought them inside to hand paint them with white chalk paint. After a couple of coats, I gave the ducks a careful sanding.

Using leftover wood, I attached two pieces of wood in an “L” shape, using wood glue and my Kreg jig. After staining the wood bookend bases, I used glue to attach to ducks to the bases. No more ugly brass ducks.

ugly duck4

ugly duck3

ugly duck5ugly duck1

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s