Inspirations and ideas can come from anywhere, even when you’re not looking for them.
I saw this architectural candle pillars while flipping through the Pottery Barn catalog. It looked interesting and it got me thinking about all the pieces of wood, extra moulding, trim, and old picture frames I have lying around. What a good way to repurpose some of those “left overs” and make something functional and attractive. And who doesn’t like a Pottery Barn knock off project?
I started with this piece of wood I bought at Habitat Restore a while ago. It was only $1.00, so it had to come home with me. I believe it is a piece used in stair railings, but I don’t know what it’s call. The top was cut off to have a flat surface to set a candle on.
I bought this “window” at a junk yard almost two years ago. Never found a home for it, so I took it apart and it became the base to my pillar.
Miter cutting all these pieces was not the easiest thing for me. It took awhile to wrap my head around which way to lay the wood down on the saw to get the right cut. But I got the hang of it. I kept going, making small squares out of frames and moulding and stacked them up on top of each other.
I used Elmer’s Multi-Purpose All Glue, because that’s what I had on hand. (It’s not the “school” Elmer’s glue) If I had wood glue, I would have used that instead. But since I wanted this project to be “free”, I used only what I already had Mr. Elmer worked great. It’s not coming apart.
I continued to stack the moulding and trim until I got the look and height I wanted. After the glue dried for a couple of hours, I sanded and spackled some of the rough edges. Then the whole thing was spray painted a satin white. (took 3 coats) Once the paint dried, I sanded the edges to distress it a bit then rubbed “distress ink” on the edges to give it that “aged” look.
This was fun to make. I still have left over trim and old picture frames! I see more candle pillars in my future. ; )